Thursday, August 19, 2010

More Shameless Begging

I am re-posting part of this from last year, because I am begging for the same thing:) BOOKS, people, Books!

As most of you know,(I've mentioned it enough!), I run a book club for teen and tween girls at a low income community center. Actually, it's a low income housing project and the community center is located at the apartments. Many of the residents are transitioning out of homelessness or other bad situations. The center is a meeting place that provides after school and summer programs for the kids, parenting classes, and meetings for those who had had alcohol or chemical dependencies. It truly is a place that fights generational poverty on all levels. You can check it out at www.cpahinc.com.


There are eight hardcore members in the book club (and a couple who show up intermittently) who love their book club and want more than anything to have it continue this year. For that I need some very special authors who are willing to give of their books. There is NO money to buy books. I had a fabulous list of authors and books last year! All sent books, some came to visit, others made a vlog and sent gifts. Out of the eight members who attended faithfully, I had three who were already readers. Now I have eight! That is HUGE!!!!The connection with the authors is key. I need that again this year! If you are an author or are someone willing to help out, please contact me. Remember, I need eight to ten of the same book and that can be a challenge!

new note: I have two girls who are old enough to join this year and are so excited! So I would say I need ten books a month. Please contact me at diddymon (at)verizon (dot)net.

10 comments:

Christine Fonseca said...

Sweet! I'll email you...

Annie said...

I have a smidge of green I can throw your way.

Anonymous said...

Teri,

I'll send you a complete set of my books if you send me your address.

Janette Rallison said...

I have some books I can send. What's the address?

Anonymous said...

Teri, my first YA novel won't be out until Fall 2011, but since it's about a girl whose mom is addicted to meth, I think it might be a great choice for your book club. I'd love to donate some books and come to a meeting when my book comes out!

Unknown said...

I run a book club for middle school boys...I have seven boys in it this year...so would appreciate any books that would appeal to them...I am always pleased when I can get boys at this age to be interested and invested in books and reading...
Sandy Krieg
skrieg@haverford.org

Carpet cleaning Sacramento said...

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog.

société off shore said...

Many of the residents are transitioning out of homelessness or other bad situations.

San Diego County Jail said...

Interesting article. Were did you got all the information from? Anyway thank you for this great post!

Unknown said...

That’s great post. it‘s very informational and knowable thanks for sharing with us.

100% Accurate Commodity Tips